Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Travel Itinerary and Miscellaneous

Hi, folks! Since several people have asked us about our travel plans, I thought it would be helpful to post them here.  We are scheduled to fly out of Detroit this Sunday, Oct. 16th. We change planes in D.C. and then should arrive in the capital city late afternoon on Monday.  From there, we will drive immediately to our region, about a 5-hour drive.

Tuesday morning we will go to the orphanage to visit Victoria :) and also to meet with the orphanage director.  The afternoon will be spent doing court prep, including meeting with our court-appointed interpreter.

Wednesday morning, probably at 10, is the big event.  We will have to answer questions in a courtroom about our fitness and desire to be Victoria's parents.  This should be a couple of hours, give or take.  The judge will make his/her decision and rule on whether or not to waive the 10-day wait. Anxious moments to be sure.

Assuming all goes well and the adoption is granted, and the 10-day wait is waived, we will spend Thursday running around gathering the necessary post-adoption documents in region. The best part happens later that day when we go to the orphanage. This time, though, Victoria leaves with us, and our lives, and her's,will never be the same.  We then hop back into the car for that 5-hour drive back to the capital. 

Very, very early the next morning, the doctor will arrive to examine Victoria so that we can submit everything to the U.S. Embassy later that day. V. should receive her U.S. Visa that same day.

Weekend - we get to play! as much as our little lady can tolerate that is.  Really hope to do some sightseeing but I have a feeling most of our energy will go towards learning how to care for her and making her as comfortable as we can.

On Monday we finish up some business at the U.S. Consulate and on Tuesday we fly home! Due to the magic of intercontinental travel, we also arrive home on Tuesday. That still confuses me. No matter, we'll be home, and that's the important thing.

You can imagine the level of excitement we are feeling these days. For me, it fluctuates with anxiety over all I still have to do before we leave. Funny, life doesn't slow down so I can get a ton of extra stuff done.  My kids still have their activities and we have doctor and dentist appointments. My family still keeps needing clean clothes to wear and wanting to eat at least a few times a day. The dog keeps shedding, ugh, and the grass needs mowing (that one at least is not my job). Throw in keeping track of the bills, my admittedly half-hearted housekeeping efforts, and a few rehearsals to boot,  and you've got the makings of a frenzied good time. I'm really not whining, even though it kind of sounds that way. If anything, I kind of enjoy this level of activity, especially when there's such a wonderful prize at the end. And we are so, so happy and thankful to be at this place. Still, my heart does race when I look at my to-do list. That's why I'm so grateful to read what God's Word has to say.

These verses from Isaiah chapter 46 are bringing me comfort these days: "Even to your old age I will be the same, and even to your graying years I will bear you! I have done it, and I will carry you; And I will bear you and I will deliver you." v. 4 and in v. 9-10: "Remember the former things long past, for I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is no one like Me, declaring the end from the beginning, and from ancient times things which have not been done, saying, 'My purpose will be established, and I will accomplish all My good pleasure.'" That's my God!

This post is already too long, but if you can bear with me a bit longer, I would like to mention a few specific prayer requests.

1. Court!! We need wisdom in answering the questions posed to us and favor with the judge.

2. Victoria's adjustment. If you could just imagine you are a child leaving everything you have ever known. You are leaving the people who have cared for you your whole life. You are leaving the only home you've ever had. Now you're with these unfamiliar people who can't even speak your language and they sure don't do things the way you're used to. Not to mention, you have been raised in a a relatively unstimulating environment without the nurturing a child needs and you have learned to comfort yourself. Now you're surrounded by so much stimuli you don't know how to handle it.  Not to mention you are grieving. Victoria really needs your prayers.

3. Please pray for our children at home and our family who is helping to care for them while we are gone. They are so excited that V. is finally coming home, but they don't really know what to expect, and neither do we.

4. Finally, please pray for our finances. Some rather large non-adoption expenses lately are making things a little tight. And if you would like, it's not too late to make a financial gift to us through Reece's Rainbow.  We would be so grateful.  Thanks for sticking with me to the end and all your support. We will be so thrilled when we get to introduce V. to all of you!! 


No comments: